View Single Post
Old 12-22-2007, 09:11 AM
Lighteningspeed
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: G550 Captain

Originally Posted by o/w herc driver View Post
A little surprised this one hasn't been thrown around yet. Everyone keeps talking about lengthier upgrades as a result of age 65. What are people's thoughts on whether or not this is permanent? My initial thoughts are that the airlines will slow hiring to the point that someone hired 5 years from now would've originally been hired one year from now and those folks upgrade times will be more similar to times before age 65. I know there are a lot of variables involved in determining upgrade times, just wondering what people's thoughts are on long term age 65 impacts alone. I posted a separate reply on the military forum for those guys sitting on the fence re: separating/retiring.
The answer to your question will depend on whether the projected hiring will be based on real growth or based on attrition. If the major airlines go through real expansion and growth, the upgrade time may even come down. If the hiring is mainly due to attrition, then that's bad news for all of us. We'll have to wait and see.

I suspect many senior CAs will medical out right at 60, asn an example for NWA, a senior CA told me there are over 35 senior CAs based out of DTW on medical leave right now and they are not even 59 years old.