View Single Post
Old 07-12-2019, 08:18 AM
TransWorld
Gets Everyday Off

Joined APC: Aug 2016
Position: Relaxed

Originally Posted by Name User View Post
AA also has 48 320's that are closing in on 20 years old. That is typically when they have chosen to replace aircraft. So not sure what to expect...will they hold on to those aircraft longer, will they replace with up-gauged 321neos, or replace with 737-8MAX's?

My hunch says replace with the MAX, assuming it actually gets airborne again, due to the extremely long wait for the NEO and the premium the Airbus product is getting.
My understanding is all the AA Mad Dogs get parked right after this Labor Day. All of the A320s, B757, and the older B767 get parked as they are replaced over the next few years. These are/will be about 20+ years old*. The reality is this will reduce the average age of the AA fleet, even as Delta is renewing their fleet.

*The current average age of these fleets are:
20.6 years MD-80
18.0 years A320
19.5 years B757
20.1 years B767

This is about 12% of the fleet, which averages, with them 10.8 years.

So the average age of the fleet will reduce a couple of years.

Separately, my crystal ball sees over half (~80) of the A319s are about 20 years old. The Airbus lines are mostly dedicated to the A321s. Few low hour used A319s will be available for purchase. So my crystal ball says, contrary to AA management statements, AA will buy some A220s. Not much of any other choice of current production.