Thread: Alaska or UPS?
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2019, 03:52 PM
FTv3
Social Media retired.

Joined APC: May 2018

UPS is very similar to FedEx. We do night, day and international. We do have red eyes, not that many though; the bulk of our night flying (“nite sort”) is: leave the hotel at 9pm, fly a leg into SDF, sleep til 2 or 3 in a private sleep room, fly leg back out, hotel by 6am. Repeat M-F nights. Start that with a paid ticket* to work on Sunday and another one home in the following Saturday. Week on/week off like this. These can go fairly senior but people either love them or hate them. Better than red eyes IMHO. Lots of day flying but it’s usually tied into shorter pairings and annoying for commuters - increasing due to rise in e-commerce volume. Reserve has been known to be a good deal with not getting called out much but we are short staffed and will continue to be so for a while so it’s not epic as it was - still gets bid on across the seniority board though. Generally speaking, schedules will own you 14/28 days mostly in longer blocks (7/7, 14/14, etc.) but it’s not uncommon to gain a day or two at home with favorable commercial deadheads, conflict bidding, etc.
*not all pairing have these Dh’s.

International is either loops around continents, stings around the world (MD/747) or inter Europe / inter Asia flying (767) doing the night sort stuff I explained above. Not unheard of but not exactly common either to do Europe or Asia out and backs. Intl is something like 40-50% of our flying. Downside is there are lots of 24hr l/o’s in these pairings.

Basically we average block 400+change hrs per year and credit 975ish. I think my low was 300 and I have a bud that stayed under 200 for a couple of years doing airport standby lines (dozing for dollars). But the schedules are tougher than the pax carriers, generally with trips starting at 2-3am. No big deal, shift your clock (be an early riser on your days off) and make rest / a healthy lifestyle a priority and it has minimal effects. We also have top notch vacation language which helps.

I normally see 1-2 AK guys jumping over each year. Same with jet blue. Sometimes a SWA guy. Best bet is just to grab a JS on us sometime and check out the op, talk to the guys. Lots of info on the UPS section here too. But don’t be put off by the night flying thing, it’s not as bad as it sounds. But don’t expect bankers hours either.