View Single Post
Old 07-14-2019, 04:07 PM
mexipilot84
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Gear Handle supervisor

Originally Posted by randomroute View Post
“Wereitweresosimple”

I wish it were all that simple. In MIA We can’t start at the gate despite necessity, we dont even have a procedure to do it, much less the ground support. And we are all over the world to know what is and isnt possible, the creative nature of Swift pilot’s should never be underestimated.

What you and everyone else has to realize, is that this place is not industry standard. We dont have the agreements, safety, awareness that any other pax airline has. We operate on the experience of the particular PIC and the restrictions of the service providers around us. We dont start at the gate in MIA unless we are ready to push. We dont single engine taxi because we dont know how (no procedure). We dont get to leave the plane with the APU running for the next crew because theres no one there to watch it. We dont have what you and others have. Dont even ask about the weight and balance.

We don’t single engine taxi because we don’t care about fuel savings, the customers pay for the fuel. Welcome to ACMI. Single engine taxi you’re maneuver limited and in small airports that’s a hazard. It’s in the book it’s discouraged. There is single engine taxi procedures, it’s for an air start. FCOM 1 chapter 4. If I can taxi on both then it’s no big deal, mean by the time I’m at the runway I’ve had my 2 engine warm up and ready to roll. Our procedures were created when we were just a VIP carrier going to FBOs when you can launch right away.

Why would you leave the APU running un attended? Just a hazard if the APU dies and then the battery will go right behind it too. You do better justice if you shut it down and leave your colleague a working battery so he can start the APU. Safer route, the other route costs money and aggravation.

You have it all figured out, you can apply for the DO position if you want, you can unmake us as a 36th st mafia airline as you call us. I guess you haven’t checked out world Atlantic.