View Single Post
Old 07-15-2019, 02:57 PM
FullFlaps
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2018

American Airlines Cadet Academy
JetBlue Academy
Republic Academy

All of the above help finance if you are long for financing. Rates are fairly high but that's what the market is providing right now

Im in flight training and would discourage ATP. This is anecdotal from previous ATP students but they have a spaghetti against the wall approach to instruction and really don't care if you pass or not. If you miss 1 or 2 flights they kick you out and keep all the money. From personal experience most of the CFI's from ATP I see in my region lack a depth of knowledge / true understanding I see from other instructors.

Look for a solid 141 program with a dedicated DPE or sign off authority. There is usually a few schools around every major airport with a retired military or retired airline pilot as the chief. If you're lucky enough to get one of these guys as your instructor, they can help you get ahead knowledge wise. If you think about it flight training is less than 300 hours through CFI/II. For every hour of flight expect 5 to 8 hours of ground study on your own. Find someone that can help you with basic sick and rudder skills but also with the academics.

If you can afford to move to Arizona or Florida and hit it full time that would accelerate timelines.

As people have mentioned nothing wrong with going at it part time. It might take you 6 months to 12 months longer but no debt and your also working up a cash cushion for you're first 2 years which you'll probably need. Also part time will give you the time to decide if this is a hobby or a career.

Good luck