View Single Post
Old 07-18-2019, 01:47 AM
pilotpilot84
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2017
Position: Capt
Exclamation Truth about Compass Training

This is obviously just an opinion, but I want to help the new pilots make a decision on where to go for their first job. Compass is not the carrier for a first time 121 pilot. Their training is fast paced and not designed for pilots without prior 121 or 135 experience. Their training platform is set from the old Northwest Air-link days, which only hired prior 121 or 135 pilots.

Example 1: SYSTEMS with Compass is only 5 days long, and that includes FMS training. Skywest and Mesa Airlines, which have amazing and reasonable time line training programs, offer 11 days of systems on its own. The FMS training is done separately along with FPT's after systems.

Example 2: SIMS at Compass are only set at 7 training sessions, with 2 additonal reserved for your LOFT and CHECK-RIDE. Mesa offers 10 training sessions with 2 reserved for your LOFT and CHECK-RIDE.

Compass also has a 3rd party training facility, leasing space from CAE in MSP. Mesa and Skywest Airlines have their own training facilities. Mesa specifically has a large facility with a CRJ inside for FA training, a uniform shop for pilots, multiple high-level tech classrooms and a cafeteria lunch room fully stocked with real meals. Mesa also just acquired their own ERJ-175 SIM in PHX that is strictly theirs. However, they still do out source SIM time in DFW and St. Louis.

Compass is also up for contract renewal, and when I was flying for them, it was always an unknown if your job is coming to an end in 2020. Made it hard to decide to stay or go. DELTA's contract with Compass is up in 2020 and American's is up 2024. 60% of Compass's flying is Delta, so if that goes, then............ Compass is good for what it is. It's a respected regional that will get your foot in the door, but that does not matter if you can't pass training, and or, don't receive enough training that makes you proficient by the time you get to IOE.

I write this NOT TO START AN ARGUMENT, but to help the younger guys who come from the CFI Cessna world make an informed decision. I have friends having a choice on where to go and wanted to express my opinion on Compass's training program, having gone through it myself. I hope this insight helps. Blue side up!