View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 05:38 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic View Post
Thank you for that level of detail! I had no idea they even had that many exceptions, which really helps quality of life.

So if I understand correctly, the unit makes me fly with them 8 times a month, all 8 days then will be considered mandatory drill and therefore exempt? And yea I am not going to worry about the limit anymore as I misunderstood it originally.
Yes. To my knowledge drill days are always exempt, even above above the statutory minimum 48 annual drills. There is a hard cap on the number of drills the mil will let you do in a year (130 IIRC).

I usually do over 100 and it's never been an issue. Legally employers have no visibility on drills anyway, they are only allowed to ask for copies of orders over 30 days (which would never be drills).

Like I said, don't worry about USERRA at this point... there are billions of airline pilots in the guard/reserve and I've never met one who lost his job over it. If it ever does become an issue for you, you'll be a major or LtCol and will have plenty of resources to sort it out when the time comes. There's no way the military can force you do perform duty which would cause you to exceed five years and lose your real job. If it's mandatory, it's exempt.