Thread: System Bid

nuball5 , 08-07-2019 09:49 AM
Gets Weekends Off
nuball5
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Aug 2007
Quote: Hoping to get some insight on the QOL for 320 JFK FO. As we are currently bidding, I am looking at a possible transition from 190 FO to 320 FO, at or just after the one-year seat lock. I'll outline my scenario below to help with any comments.

As with anyone coming from a regional, I hope to get away from the multiple-legs a day northeast flying. Having looked through the bid packet, I see that the 190 JFK can get you out of the northeast a fair bit albeit still working multiple legs. So that in itself is welcoming news.

I do live in base, so there will not be any issues with commuting. So sitting reserve a little longer shouldn't be terrible. My main concern for the 320 is as we know the plane is significantly more senior. What is life like for a year 1/2 to 3 year FO in JFK? Are you successful in bidding days off? I know the red-eyes exist but they do seem to be blown out of proportion slightly... it shouldn't be every leg/trip (having read multiple threads/scrolling through bid packet). With that, I fully understand that someone has to be the junior person, so this is not complaining. Just trying to make my best guess since we are at least for now only given one time a year to bid. It's a little hard to make that assessment when you have even hit the line yet.

For all I know, the 190 could be best thing for my situation. I know $$$ is to be made on the 190 during bad weather, but I am also not a hustler. I enjoy my time off.

All that being considered, I would greatly appreciate any info/insight you guys may be able to offer.
I don’t think the Airbus is significantly more senior in JFK. The other bases, yes. The seniority hit that you would take from going JFK 190 to 320 I believe would be offset but the variety of flying and open-time available on the 320.

IMO 190-JFK is some of the worst flying in the Jetblue system overall. There’s a reason the last system bid had an April ‘17 hire take the junior upgrade. Also since you said you don’t like working extra, might as well take the higher payrate. If I was JFK local, I wouldn’t even hesitate to switch.