Old 08-08-2019, 03:21 PM
EMAW
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by P180 Jockey View Post
Hey, guys and gals- New here, but I do have a question on this:

I agree that the proper procedure is the procedure recommended by the manufacturer. However, in a non-precision approach, using Nav/VNAV to the MDA creates a couple other workload issues:

1) You're gonna have the MDA altitude set in the window and will need to start twisting for the MA altitude at the highest workload phase of the flight (though I agree this is not a huge issue if you "just fly the airplane" on the miss and conduct a SNAP checklist).

2) In A/P mode, the plane is gonna level and stall if you don't have your head out of your butt at MDA, in any case.

So, whether you're flying in Appr/VNAV, Nav/VNAV or Nav/Pitch (dive and drive), you're gonna have to know the MDA and when you're approaching it. That done, it just seems to me, there's two alternatives:

NAV Mode:
Go missed, power up, clean up, SNAP

APPR/VNAV Mode:
Go missed, power up, clean up, SNAP (with the "A" part already set for you, greater precision on the Approach Profile and a single Manual of Arms from Approach to Approach)

What am I missing here? Input welcome.
The simple answer is, if you are shooting an approach to an MDA using VNAV, the aircraft is supposed to level at MDA. Usually this happens a mile or two from the end of the runway. There is no hurry to start a climb in this situation, although if you have no visual and it levels you will most likely be beyond position to land quickly. However, no turns are to be made before the MAP so you have some time.

Level at the MDA, set the missed altitude then hit the GA and start a climb straight ahead to the MAP then SNAP.