Old 08-08-2019, 05:12 PM
Gundriver64
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2017

Originally Posted by P180 Jockey View Post
Hey, guys and gals- New here, but I do have a question on this:

I agree that the proper procedure is the procedure recommended by the manufacturer. However, in a non-precision approach, using Nav/VNAV to the MDA creates a couple other workload issues:

1) You're gonna have the MDA altitude set in the window and will need to start twisting for the MA altitude at the highest workload phase of the flight (though I agree this is not a huge issue if you "just fly the airplane" on the miss and conduct a SNAP checklist).

2) In A/P mode, the plane is gonna level and stall if you don't have your head out of your butt at MDA, in any case.

So, whether you're flying in Appr/VNAV, Nav/VNAV or Nav/Pitch (dive and drive), you're gonna have to know the MDA and when you're approaching it. That done, it just seems to me, there's two alternatives:

NAV Mode:
Go missed, power up, clean up, SNAP

APPR/VNAV Mode:
Go missed, power up, clean up, SNAP (with the "A" part already set for you, greater precision on the Approach Profile and a single Manual of Arms from Approach to Approach)

What am I missing here? Input welcome.
The last bullet: how do you think that technique is going to work while on the final approach segment, a stiff tail wind, and then the need to start maneuvering for the landing runway? (circle approach)