View Single Post
Old 08-11-2019, 06:12 PM
ImperialxRat
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
Ah yes, blame “unqualified” women and minorities. I keep hearing how they’re stealing jobs yet a glance of new hire photos across every legacy airline shows otherwise.
You probably haven’t had to do a career fair in a while, so you’re probably unfamiliar with how ridiculous it is/was from both a time and money point of view. In this market you have to join various organizations that you don’t care about to hope to get some face time with the recruiters.. I was a member of WAI and OBAP and don’t care about either of them. If airlines only wanted the most qualified candidate then an online application would be fine, however I get it.. they want more. They want to know what kind of person you are, if you care about yourself and your appearance, can carry a conversation, etc.. all things that you can tell from a 15 min meet and greet conversation.

What is stupid is that the majors never went to whatever the generic career fair was.. aero crew or something like that, yet every year they didn’t go to aero crew (this is back when hiring was more difficult), they still went to all the minority events. That is why most of us have a sour taste in our mouth about these career fairs and having had to join the organization and pay money to attend. It’s not because we think 3000 women aviation’s are going to come replace us at Alaska.

And before you say we didn’t have to pay or attend the minority career fairs, you’re right, we didn’t.