Thread: Class Drop List
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2019, 11:17 AM
dera
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
How so? I can tell PBS to build me a line based of 90 credit hours a month, and it will if I have the seniority to hold that. Doesn't take upper echelon seniority to do that either...just enough to be off the bottom of line holders. Plenty of guys here (YX) crediting >90 hours a month with 17 or more days off. Your crappy lines in a bid packet won't get you that without picking up OT on your very few off days. I've never understood the line bidding is better than PBS argument.

PBS needs good work rules to be good for the pilots. PBS with poor rules can be borderline abusive. RAH has good work rules so PBS has good pairings and builds efficient schedules. With our work rules, PBS for the mid level and below guys would absolutely suck (5 lost days a month with no min day guarantee, anyone?). So for us, line bidding is much better, because company tries to build lines up to at least the min guarantee value. So they mix up some of the trash with a few gems to bulk up the line credit.

If we had PBS, the senior guys would get the day turn pairings with 19 days off and 90+ hours of credit. The mid-senior pilots would get the 17-20 hour 4-day pairings. And the mid to junior guys would end up with all the lost day garbage, because all good pairings would've already been gone.