View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 08:41 AM
AZFlyer
Custom User Title

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Originally Posted by Bluetaildragger View Post
While that is definitely a trend, there's much more to the story than that. Just having family member at AA isn't the end of the story, it involves a ton of networking and prep that many at the regionals write off as nepotism. Meanwhile, they devote zero time to their apps and networking while wondering why they haven't gotten a call. Some with parents at AA have even received the call and got turned down for one reason or another. Others never get the call at all.
I personally know a handful of people who were hired at AA exactly because of mom/dad pulling strings for them, and said people would otherwise not have been even remotely close to competitive with the average civilian OTS hire.

More power to them mind you. It is what it is and I would take the same opportunity as well had I been in their shoes, but I can't ignore the details that I know about with regards to the circumstances some of these individuals were hired under and just pretend that they weren't effectively gifted their opportunity. Such is life.