Thread: Reserve QOL
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2019, 05:37 AM
Av viii
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2017
Position: 320

Originally Posted by ftaba1 View Post
Just curious how reserve quality of life has changed since the PBS went into effect? Can a reserve holder drop some days and pick up open trips during those days?
It depends. If you live in base QOL is mediocre on reserve. If you have a spouse or kids or something else that needs you to have flexibility then it sucks. No dropping or changing schedule once you get it. Also, I haven’t seen it mentioned-the PBS vendor we use doesn’t allow you to prioritize reserve periods, only days off. Which, depending on your circumstances can really suck. I don’t want to start reserve at 3:00am or 19:00 but you can’t choose that. It gives what it gives.
If you don’t care what days you’re available or what time you start then it’s not as bad. This summer guys worked about 80% of their days available I think. And it’s pretty easy to credit 80-90+ each month when it’s busy.
I think at most airlines reserve isn’t ideal. This contract is worse for reserves than before because you can’t change anything and you can’t bid what time you start. But with the rescheduling language ALPA agreed to line holders are pretty much on reserve too.