View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 03:30 PM
sky jet
Polyester Pilot

Joined APC: Mar 2011
Position: 777 CA

Originally Posted by Cujo665 View Post
Works for the steelworkers union. Company has no control of who the union sends. They budget for the most expensive, pocket the savings when it’s more junior.
As a person that comes from a line of steelworkers that goes back nearly 150 years I can tell you that is or was absolutely not true. When they closed my father-in laws mill and the mills that my other family members worked in they were told thanks for the memories, goodbye. A close family friend was 10 days from retirement benefits and was left on the curb. Now, this all happened in the 80's and it is possible that things have changed but my little home town lost 10,000 steel jobs in a four year period and not one of those men was offered a job anywhere else. Western PA, Eastern OH and NE West Virginia have never recovered.

As for when the mills were open your statement is correct. But when it came to closings there was nothing that seniority could do to save your job. Even though the companies had mills in other states no jobs were offered to USW workers.