View Single Post
Old 08-29-2019, 05:38 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Bahamasflyer View Post
Sorry, but those cases are apples vs oranges to what the OP is asking and the examples I'm listing.

Those cases, as well as the Mesa one you linked, are completely different because those cases involved either the employee taking bonus money (voluntary) or tuition reimbursement (also voluntary).

Before you responded I made it very clear that those situations would indeed likely cause courts to rule in favor of the employers.

Myself and the OP are talking about employers demanding reimbursement for costs that are MANDATORY for employment. Not only mandatory in terms of company policy, but also required by the FAA for training.

Two totally different scenarios.

No argument there. Absolutely true that one can be terminated for not following company policy.

WRONG!

There are very few things that past employers can share with applicants present/future employers.......legally at least, unless they want to risk a massive libel or slander lawsuit.

Name, dates worked, position, salary, and eligibility for rehire (a simple yes/no, nothing more) is pretty much it. Some will only share title and dates worked and nothing more.

Absolutely true.
But in this case you can easily win the battle and lose the war.

Majors (and most other aviation employers) hire pilots based on their reliability, conservatism, skills, and experience. Few are looking for skilled and aggressive defendants (or plaintiffs), or those with colorful credit histories... that kind of thing will make you stand out in stark contrast to the rank and file of pilot job applicants.