View Single Post
Old 09-04-2019, 06:52 PM
amg433
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2019
Default Chronic lower back pain

Hi everyone. First post. So, almost 2 years ago, I had surgery for scoliosis that didn't quite go as planned and has left me with near-daily lower back pain. I'm still searching for possible solutions, but I'm left to suffer in the meantime.

I recently had my Transport Canada Class 1 exam and the doctor didn't seem too concerned about my back. It is important to mention, though, that I didn't bring up the pain. It didn't even occur to me because it wasn't hurting that day (a rarity). I've yet to receive my certificate as the TC medical people were recently on vacation for a few weeks, but I'm not anticipating any issues being approved.

What I am concerned about, as is my family (and they won't shut up about it), is whether my back pain will prevent me from being able to fly (i.e. sitting for long hours in a pilot's chair). My family is convinced I'm going to put people's lives at risk because I might become too incapacitated to fly, but I'm never in so much pain that I can't focus on the task at hand. I have a feeling they're being a little over-dramatic about the whole thing (they're basically convinced that I can't do any job that doesn't involve sitting at a desk).

Addendum: aviation has always been my passion and I'll be devastated if this doesn't work out for me, but safety comes first.

Second addendum: would it be better if I just did flying as a hobby so that no one relies on me? I could always make a career out of something else. Sorry for the excessive addenduming.