Thread: Coast Guard OCS
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2019, 04:18 PM
Merle Dixon
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2014
Position: Legacy FO, T-38 IP
Default Air National Guard

ANG, say it with me, Air National Guard. I am a recently retired Air Force Reserve Undergraduate Pilot Training T-38 IP. I just texted a few of my bro’s who are still T-38 IPing. There are still numerous ANG and AF Reserve students in UPT right now exactly like you: college grad with flight time.

Active duty sucks. Do not do it. If you want a guaranteed pilot training slot, look into the Air National Guard. 2nd choice, AF Reserve. There are truck tons of info on this site about the ANG, check out baseops.net, and bogie dope.

You said your family members are all Navy and Marines. If they have not told you about the ANG, they are all stoned out of their minds

Edit... with the AF and the ANG, you apply and take tests for a pilot training slot, if you aren’t accepted into pilot training, you do not have to join the service. With the AF and ANG, you sign your life away by entering the service AFTER you are given a pilot training slot. The CG, Navy, nor Marine Corps do not do it that way.

I was in your exact shoes 22 years ago. I spoke with a CG pilot in Traverse City, Michigan, and here is what he told me, “If I had it all to do over again, I would have joined the Air Force. Their primary mission is air. They have thousands and thousands of aircraft. Flying and maintaining thousands of aircraft is very expensive. The AF spends their money on aircraft and nice bases. In the CG, Navy and Marines, pilots are an after thought. They have no where near as many aircraft. In the Air Force, piloting is the mission.” I went through AF active-duty OTS. Wish I would have pursued the ANG instead.

Last edited by Merle Dixon; 09-08-2019 at 04:42 PM.