View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 07:26 AM
Guppydriver95
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2018

Originally Posted by fanaticalflyer View Post
I know for a fact this is not true. I've had several flights that they actually did move the departure time much earlier than the delayed time. And people missed the flight. The last one occurred about 4 months ago out of SEA. I was shocked they would leave the pax since the gate agent said delay was at least three hours and they would call over the terminal PA and to listen up. Plane swap, and we left in 45 mins, and zone control said I had to go over my protests. With the memo that came out a few months ago that said flight operations controls if a plane gets to hold or not, that overrode me insisting on waiting on the pax that we were royally screwing over.
Not sure how long you’ve been a Captain, but zone doesn’t give orders to Captains. I’ve brought jetways back on the last flight of the day to get frantic pax on a few times, as well as directed agents to board Jumpseaters who were going to be left behind. You, as the Captain, have the final say of everything that happens on the jet from the time you show up at the gate until you release the crew at the destination. To abdicate your responsibility just because zone said so is just poor form. Btw, I’ve NEVER been called or questioned about such decisions. But the thought of explaining it to somebody doesn’t even move the needle during my calculus.