View Single Post
Old 09-24-2019, 05:51 AM
Name User
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2014

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
I'm already at the point where I'd drive 300 miles rather than fly, even if it's free. Beyond that, I'll fly even if I have to pay. Obviously depends on what I'm doing when I get there and for how long.

I think people who take short commuter flights rather than drive to the hub are doing it for easy parking and short TSA lines more than anything else.

I suspect automated cars would put a dent in the regional business but not to an extreme degree... my wife doesn't like road trips more than ablout 8 hours and she does have an autopilot (me).
Ha. After just doing seven hours in a car I know what you mean. Flying is much nicer. It's unfortunate the beginning part of the journey is always such a cluster what with the TSA etc.

I do think longer journeys aren't at risk right now. And my 5 year single pilot timeline is certainly "optimistic". Cape Air is buying a new electric airplane that could also revolutionize regional travel, making it cheaper than it is now, delivering passengers into a large hub.

So there are many ways this can go.