View Single Post
Old 09-24-2019, 05:27 PM
DashAviator
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2016

Originally Posted by MedSledDriver View Post
Is there any common trends regarding upgrade failures on the Q? I know it’s a pretty rough experience going from jet FO to Q captain, but if you’re already a Q FO it shouldn’t be too difficult. I’ve flown with some captains on the Q that make it look a little too easy, if you know what I mean.
I'm not a sim instructor, so I don't have much insight on Q400 upgrade training failures. Newer first officers tend to struggle with the following:

(1) Basic stick and rudder skills, especially during abnormal procedures (i.e., engine failures and zero flap landings). The Q400 is gawd-awful on one engine. A productive strategy is to use whatever control pressure it takes to hold the wings level, maintain a safe airspeed, and then work out what kind of failure you're dealing with.

(2) Lack of familiarity with the FMS. You'd think this wouldn't be a big issue, but many pilots (FO's and captains included) can't correctly program and use the FMS in a timely manner while dealing with other problems. Being good isn't good enough, you have to practice to the point where it's second nature.

(3) Lack of familiarity with flows. See (2) above.

(4) On the upgrade side: Lack of decision-making ability, or inability to prioritize / commit to a course of action. I noticed that when I went through upgrade IOE that there was almost no "instruction", the whole process seemed much more like a four-day line check.