View Single Post
Old 09-26-2019, 07:13 AM
Excargodog
Perennial Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

The agency said Boeing had underestimated the effect that a failure of new automated software in the aircraft could have on the environment in the cockpit
Welcome to the 2020s. IMHO that is becoming more and more if a problem as planes are manually flown less and less. And it’s not just Boeing that has underestimated the problem, it’s the whole world.

We’ll soon be getting people in CA positions who really haven’t flown anything without an FMS since the got their CPL, and got a lot of their time from there on until they got hired by a regional being a SIC in aircraft that didn’t actually even require a SIC and, oh yes, had an FMS.

Don’t get me wrong I am not a Luddite, I think automation is great. It allows us to do our job more efficiently and oftentimes more precisely, but when those who have grown up knowing nothing else get in a stressful situation where they need to use their OWN brains AND the muscle memory built from a lot of hand flying, it’s going to be real difficult for a fair number of them.