View Single Post
Old 09-26-2019, 12:59 PM
RAH RAH REE
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2009

Originally Posted by OOfff View Post
I don’t really want to play the cranky old man telling people to pay their dues, but...wasting negotiating capital to get rid of new hire seat locks is absurd. Fix the AE side of the problem. A 1-year/2-year seat lock is fine
So you agree with the company bypassing seniority? Because it's basically what happens and it will continue to happen to almost every pilot hired from now on.

It's very possible that I could be stuck on an airplane in a base that I don't want for almost 3 years depending how the AEs are released. All the while some brand new pilot is where I want to be. Will it happen? Probably not the way hiring is right now but you never know.

It's even worse when you consider the pay rate difference between aircraft second year. You could be forced on the 220 NYC and the next week a pilot junior to you could get the 7ER making $40 more an hour in a base you live in.

And don't talk about paying dues, some of us spent a decade and a half stuck at the regionals getting downgraded, bases closed, displaced, whipsawed, etc. We were in the only period in history where the majors didn't hire for almost 10 years.