Thread: DTW Base
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2019, 01:03 PM
Flightcap
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2014

I was based there for my first 11 months. Being relatively senior in my new hire group allowed me to hold DTW out of training.

Schedule - I held a line after seven or eight months. Hiring ground almost to a stop shortly after I was hired so it's possible that I could have held a line sooner if I were on the start of a big hiring wave like it seems you are.

QOL - are you planning to commute to DTW or live there? The crashpads there are standard fare from what I hear. The outer north and western sides of Detroit are nice places to live. Downtown is reviving strongly from its bankruptcy woes and there are good amenities popping up down there like large parks, restaurant districts, etc.

Flying - there is very little international flying out of either DTW or ORD. I got out of the country about once a month. It doesn't make much difference considering we have very few international overnights. Plan for a lot of trips with long legs to the west coast at the start and back at the end. Good layovers and easy flying.