Old 10-02-2019, 06:39 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by AbbeyC172 View Post
I am currently at a part 141 college trying to finish up my instrument training that I have been in since March of this year. I earned my PPL during the last year of my 11-year military career that I left to pursue flying professionally.

I chose this college because I felt it was the best utilization of my GI Bill yet I am running into issue after issue. Next, I find out my commercial and cfi training will end up taking over 1.5 years in addition to the almost year I have spent thus far. I am in my 30s and feel like this was not the wisest way to pursue my ratings.

My question is should I pack up and try to go another route like American Flyers or do I suck it up and sludge through? I understand no one will have a magical answer but advice is appreciated.

How valuable does restricted-atp become versus the ability to complete my commercial/cfi training a year sooner? My end goal is the airlines.
Airlines don't care at all about the R-ATP. If flight training at a university is going to drag out for years, that would wipe out the benefit of the R-ATP and cost more to boot.

Some majors DO care about where you went to school, but assuming you can finish the degree program without the flight training you'd still get any benefit afforded to graduates of the school in question.

I wouldn't drop college unless you're committed to doing an AA owned regional with flow. Otherwise you'll go nowhere fast.