Old 10-04-2019, 04:45 AM
AbbeyC172
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018
Position: PA28-201, Instrument Seeking

Originally Posted by DocMcFly View Post
As Rickair mentioned you will have an uphill battle making it beyond the regionals without a college degree. I’ve also seen on here that some advise to not get a degree in aviation but anything else you might be interested in, in case of an economic downturn (cyclical airline industry furloughing pilots). Based solely on the limited information you provided (because I can’t possibly know your whole situation)- consider finishing your degree in something other than aviation if it wouldn’t cost you too much extra time and money to switch majors (online degree?). Pursue your certifications and hours away from a ridiculously slow and bureaucratically bloated college program which, if you are a go-getter, will still be faster having to get 1,500 hours than your current path. This was the case with myself and another CFI colleague. We both had degrees in other disciplines. He went back to college and took 2+ years to get his aviation degree. I went part 61 and got to CFII in 8 months (granted I literally busted my tail off). I needed 1,500, he needed 1,000. I still beat him to the airlines.

Thank you!! I can see what you mean but sadly the degree I’m in is Aviation Science. I am using my GI bill. I have a ton of transferrable credits from the military so I know finishing up a bachelors wouldn’t take long. As you stated, you beat your friend that was going the route I’m going. And that’s where I’m concerned. I’ve got 1.5 years left here or I can pack up and go 61 and start teaching sooner. I just don’t want to end up choosing the harder way like I think I already have with this college 141 route.