View Single Post
Old 10-04-2019, 07:37 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by jpmizzou View Post
Navy Helo type with a T-6 IP tour under my belt. I’ve been searching up and down the threads to try and get an idea of what my potential path to a major airline would look like. I’m considering leaving active duty just shy of 16 years as a newly pinned O-5 in early 2021 and going into the reserves to finish out my time for a reserve retirement. I always thought I would stay AD for my 20 and then retire, but finishing out the staff tour I’m currently in, going back to sea duty for another deployment, and trying to figure out another year on the back end of that tour does not sound incredibly appealing. With the way hiring is now and potential quick seniority gains at some of the legacy carriers I’m starting to look hard at what makes the most sense for me and the family.
Financially, the best *potential* bang-for-buck is as you suspect, secure a top-tier seniority number asap. There is a of course risk in bailing at 16 years, but worst case you could *probably* finish the AD 20 in the guard or other service (Navy reserve will work very hard to keep you from doing that).

I’ve got 2770 TT, Split 1620 Helo/1150 fixed wing, my TPIC is at 970. I’ve held NATOPS/STAN, Instrument Check Pilot, Functional Check Pilot, CRM Instructor qual in both the T-6 and H-60. I’m also Aviation Safety Officer qualified, 3.5 GPA both undergrad and graduate degrees, no skeletons/failures in my aviation career.
You will get called quickly. I've seen similar helo/IP guys in the reserves consistently get called after 12-18 months at a regional, and they were junior with less time than you.

I’m considering knocking out my CFI/CFII exam and getting recurrent again with some GA flying and volunteering with the local Civil Air Patrol in the interim to keep myself in the cockpit.
That would be good for your personal proficiency, I was out of the cockpit only once in my flying career, for 18 months, and it was pretty hilarious the stuff that I struggled with, stuff you take for granted as second nature.

That will not do much as far as recency for the majors... they are much more interested in turbine recency.

Also looking at paying out of pocket for the ME license and to start building time, but I’ve seen some programs where the regional would reimburse you.
Yes you need to do that. Some regionals have RW transition programs but I'm not sure that would apply to someone with FW IP time and a FW CPL. You'd have to research that.

I don’t mind doing some regional time, but I would be interested in minimizing it as much as possible and hearing how quickly mixed Helo/FW guys like myself are getting picked up by the majors with similar stats.
You might get called, especially by a lower-tier major (if that's acceptable to you). But you'll probably need a little more FW time.

I would just do the regionals... they'll provide your ATP, and you'll build relevant time quickly, and check the 121 box to boot.

If you go down other paths (federal flying, corporate aviation) you'll likely not build time anywhere near as quickly, and might have just as well stayed in the nav to 20. Regionals will be the fastest path to a seniority number, unless you can find some sweet gig which will both pay you a lot and fly you a lot... also ideally should be heavier aircraft, 50K+ MGTOW. Majors are not particularly enthused about light corporate aircraft experience.

Also... consider joining the ANG or USAFR instead of USNR. That way after you get settled in and finish probation year at a major it might be in the cards to do some orders to get your 20 AD. Or you could just enjoy airline and traditional/SELRES life and take the SELRES retirement at age 60.

BTW, with USNR you'll have a two-year sanctuary from invol mobilization after you transfer from AD... but after that there's a significant non-zero risk that you could get tagged for mob. If you drop out after getting tagged, you probably won't get the retirement (they'll kick you to IRR where it will be hard to get your last couple years). They have a policy of trying not to send anyone back for second helpings until everyone has been through the line once, and most of the other SELRES O5's will have already Mob'ed once or twice. They also like tagging O5's 1-2 years from retirement eligibility so they have no real choice but to go.