View Single Post
Old 10-06-2019, 05:55 PM
theUpsideDown
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017

Originally Posted by Iceberg View Post
Aside from the “if it ain’t Boeing, I ain’t going” argument, what’s the plus of more 777/ some 787 vs more 350? Last I checked, 787 pays less so wouldn’t we want more of what we already have at the top rate?
Whatever gets our pilots paid more, and that's a complex picture. If 100 787s suddenly means we can serve far flung destinations and fill seats, I'm not gonna feel bad about trading in a dozen A350s. If we get 100 maxes but it means we trade in 16 757-300 then o well. I root for whatever is best for us overall and doesn't lose the company money. But I don't think management is taking surveys from pilots for their next aircraft purchase. We can always hope. The airline doesn't need to get the biggest dollar sign for the pilots for the entire pilot group to do better.
Originally Posted by Baradium View Post
Yes, we want them at mainline. Mainline used to have aircraft smaller than that. No, it does not make financial sense for us to say "just let someone else fly them." Higher paid pilots might change the costing equation for what routes make sense to fly with a 76 seater, but it doesn't mean that we should say "oh then we shouldn't fly them then."

We could use that same logic on every aircraft type "well if we let someone else fly it for less, the company will make more money so we might as well.."
Hear hear.