View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 09:28 PM
Qotsaautopilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2010

Low brakes and a single engine taxi works just fine everywhere but vegas. This presumes a long runway. I’d bet full reverse, incorrect manual braking, and two engine taxi for engine cool yields higher brake temps most of the time. Either way company says they are good to be hot. With our turn times I’ve never seen brake temps that were well in the 300s after landing not be ready for takeoff except in Vegas.

As for running the engine at the gate- it’s just ridiculous. The ramp crew and a lot of pilots seem to think everyone is waiting for electricity. I could give two craps about ground power I’m waiting for air which is why I run the APU. Aside from the safety issues of running the engine, it takes them 5 minutes to hook up GPU. The APU can run three times as long as one engine on the same amount of gas. It then takes another 5 min to hook up air. So for five minutes of running the engine I can run the APU for 14 and save fuel and be comfortable. If you are not running the APU you used more fuel while waiting for GPU and then made your fellow coworkers that are deadheading in row 30 suck on their neighbor’s hot breath while you are long gone and we all wait for the air to get hooked up. Now the airplane is hot and jet way air can’t cool it can only maintain. So now the next crew will start the APU sooner and burn even more fuel.

Moral of the story in warm climates: pre-cool the airplane by going cold at TOD. Hold on starting the APU til pulling into the ramp, then start the damn thing. Set the brake and shut down the engine for safety. Let the exhaust subside for a couple minutes and hit the bleed and pump full cold into what should be a pre-cooled plane. Select GPU when the geniuses downstairs get their act together to take some load off the APU, but leave the air running until the jetway air gets hooked up. If you must leave before this happens by all means shut her down and split but those of us in row 30 would sure appreciate a few minutes of your time. If you find that it takes the entire plane unloading before air was hooked up an email to fuel burn is in order.

This is obviously technique only and certain circumstances may require different techniques but most times this keeps everyone comfortable, less irritable (less passenger disruptions), AND saves fuel.

Now where the F did my pen go so I can write this down!

Last edited by Qotsaautopilot; 10-08-2019 at 10:09 PM.