View Single Post
Old 10-12-2019, 04:25 PM
FullFlaps
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2018

Im doing the career transition thing at 39. I made more than a wide body captain in a past life. My reasons were more QOL based than financially motivated.

As you get more senior in aviation your schedule gets better and life in general gets better. As you get more senior in corporate America, it's all politics beyond middle management and hours get worse. Politics gets vicious and you have to decide if you're going to gut it out or start your own firm.

I'd rather do something fun until retirement with travel benefits. Corporate America, including sales, keeps around the lowest bidder for every role. I just got tired of having to constantly price and re-price yourself.

If you're going to do it, get your ppl and ir on the weekends at a mom and pop with a dpe. If you luck out your instructor might be a retired airline guy or military pilot. While you're getting your ratings decide if it's really for you or not. See if your company will let you drop to part time or build a side hustle. Im still in flight training but I made almost as much as I did in a corporate job with my side hustle. Next year who knows, but at least I don't wake up with a string of 4 letter words every morning!