View Single Post
Old 10-15-2019, 10:04 AM
Bigapplepilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2012

Originally Posted by Name User View Post
The industry suggestion is we need an automated goalie. Their save rate, properly designed, should be 100%. The human goalie would exist only in the event of a total system failure shutting the automation down.

At this point it's not about accidents but reducing incidents as well.

So what incidents are human factors preventing? Most of them are incidents that were caused by humans in the first place (ie the stall example).

I'm not sure where you work but my place does a pretty good job of summarizing high profile events and sending out newsletters about them. It's eye opening.
I work at a 121 Operator based in NYC. Complete with newsletters.

My point is high profile events are prevented on a daily basis by humans operating in the system. Since they don’t happen, they don’t make the newsletters.

Do you do a walk around before flight? Why do you do them? To prevent a both high and not so high profile event from entering the newsletter.

Do you conduct a contamination check on your aircraft during icing conditions? Why do you do that? To prevent a high profile event from entering the newsletter.

Do you have medlink procedures that handle a sick passenger or crew member so that hopefully you can avoid a situation in which a passenger’s health gets worse?

Do you keep an eye out of the window to scan for traffic(like a GA aircraft not using a transponder or a yahoo operating a drone at 2000 on final)? Why? So hopefully you don’t have an high profile event that makes the newsletters.

Most of these things aren’t a ‘software’ issue, and I don’t see them being solved with software. Other things too. The landing gear being lowered manually, or fighting on onboard fire. Or directing passengers on the how, when and where on an evacuation. Or the myriad of legal issues and a communication with various departments that a captain has to do before and during a flight(dispatch, maintenance, gate agent, etc). The list goes on and on.

Again, the events that were prevented don’t usually make the newsletters.