View Single Post
Old 01-01-2008, 07:19 AM
MaxKts
Part Time Employee

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Dispersing Green House Gasses on a Global Basis

Originally Posted by rjlavender View Post
If people enjoy "functioning in" this system, they are welcome to continue. But, after three decades of experience, I do not believe it is wise.

Bob
Here is the problem, you have all this experience yet still sit in the right seat. You could have upgraded long ago. These simple facts make people question your motivation for change in pay differentials. If you had upgraded and then championed for better pay for the F/O and S/O ranks the argument might carry some weight. (Also, if you would join the club instead of trying to change it from the outside, more people might listen.) Right now it seems like you just want to be paid more but don't want to accept the responsibility that goes with the higher pay scale!

Siting in the right seat and manipulating the controls as well as the guy to your left does not equate to having the same experience level. By doing the job you learn more about the job and gain experience. I personally learned more about flying while teaching others to fly then I ever did just flying the jet.

Yes we have many guys that have been Capt at other airlines and could do the job as well as I can. They eventually will be able to hold Capt here and then get to take home some extra pay. For these guys I could accept maybe paying them more when they are in the right seat. For someone who wants to be a professional F/O - the pay differential is apropriate.