View Single Post
Old 10-18-2019, 06:57 PM
drifterf16
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2018

Originally Posted by AAfng View Post
It’s a scam? Ummm, they deploy all the time. Get shot at. Mortared. Rocketed. Gone from their families for months at a time over holidays, birthdays, anniversaries etc. Risk their lives flying over hostile forces that will kill and torture them if captured. Yeah, it’s a scam. Kinda myopic and disrespectful view. Can their service and sacrifice work out as a positive with a civilian employer? Absolutely. Is it an affront to their civilian counterparts? I guess it is to you. Ask some of these military folks if it feels like a scam while they’re sitting in some $hithole with the “incoming sirens” wailing, knowing they’re not gonna see their loved ones for 3-6 months... If they come home in a box draped in a flag, as some do, was it a scam then? Do some get more lucky with timing as far as airline hiring, reaching mil retirement or deployment schedules? Certainly. You as a pilot, of any flavor, know this whole aviation business is so much “luck and timing” despite your road to being hired at a major airline. I’m not trying to sound elite, or disrespectful of your flying background, just hopefully paint a picture of a side you clearly don’t understand.
I do understand, did my 30yrs in the army/arng. Many of these guys are getting orders immediately after indoc to sit at the unit (not deployed) to take the sting out of first yr pay/seniority. Fact.[/QUOTE]

If they are on active duty orders they are subject to deployment and are needed or the orders wouldn’t be available. They’re still serving on active duty. So, they get orders to “sit at the unit” and you think they’re doing nothing? On “vacation orders” maybe? Lmfao! I didn’t know those existed in my 29 years. Maybe in the ARNG you experienced but not ANG or AFRES. Everyone I know on long term orders does an actual job/mission and works their ass off, way harder than they do at an airline job. Do they make decisions based on pay/time at home/what’s best for their families/retirement options etc? Sure! You wouldn’t? How is that a “scam”?