View Single Post
Old 01-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Cooperd0g
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Default Delta out of LAX or SLC

I have read several posts on reserve and how it can suck to commute to reserve. I'm getting that there are long and short reserve as well and that depending on what platform you get, you could be on reserve for a varying length of time. I'm not hired yet so I'm still just gathering info on all kinds of stuff.

All military background. Even on my current shore duty, I spend a pretty good amount of time away from home on exercises and other travel. I don't have kids yet and probably won't for a few years. I am married though. The wife makes more money in her job than I will as a military reservist plus first year pay at Delta and her family is still in town where we live now so we are planting roots here. "Here" is Reno. I have a good shot at a part time military unit close by - I already work closely with them, but I don't want to be cocky enough to say its a lock - you never know what could happen.

How likely would I be to get LAX or SLC as if I were a new hire?

If I were to get either one of those, Reno has numerous non-stop flights to both LAX and SLC every day on Delta (though I think all the ones to LAX are SkyWest prop flights and most of the ones to SLC are mostly the CRJ). It sounds like from what I have read on other threads that I would be able to do "long" reserve at home because of the numerous flights per day for each place out of Reno. Is this possible? It also sounds like "short" reserve would still require a local place to stay though. Am I getting this right? Obviously if I were based anywhere else I would need a crash pad for anything reserve.

Thanks a bunch, I have been learning a lot.