View Single Post
Old 01-02-2008, 07:47 AM
sully606
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2007

Originally Posted by SJF15E View Post
When you say "going to work" does this apply to someone on reserve who is commuting to a crashpad to sit and wait or only for someone who is a lineholder?
No. You can still reserve the jump seat but someone with a trip on their line can reserve it 4 days prior. For pleasure travel (your case) you can reserve it 2 days prior if not already taken. When reserving the jump seat the computer looks to see if you have anything scheduled and then allows for the reservation or not. On reserve, short or long call, the computer assumes you're already in your domicile.I'm on international reserve in NYC and commute from Chicago, I don't mind commuting because I am living where I want. In my opinion if you're spouse wants to plant roots near the family, that is the best reason for commuting. Her long term happiness is very important. I average less time away from home as a reserve than I would as a line holder even with commuting to short call and I have never had more than 4 short calls in a month. The negatives for me are less control of your schedule and flying mostly junior trips. I would rather be a junior international reserve than a mid pack or senior 737 or MD-80 domestic pilot.