View Single Post
Old 01-02-2008, 08:16 AM
Scoop
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: DAL 330

Coop,
Right now SLC and LAX are both options for new hires. LAX just closed a 767-400 domicile but opened a 767ER and a 737-800 domicile so there is ample opportunity there right now. The 737-800 category listed about 40 FO openings and only about 25 guys took it. There is also another bid scheduled for February - bottom line both LAX and SLC are possible assignments for new hires. Commuting to reserve in LAX would be tough on the 767 without a crashpad and a car since you cover 3 airports (LAX,ONT,SNA). The lines have not been published yet for the 737 but I believe it will start out in LAX and then eventually cover all 3 airports, but for now that will be your best choice for 2 reasons, initial airport coverage and seniority.
As Archie said commuting on connection carriers is very, very hard – Southwest would be a much better bet if they fly from Reno to SLC and LAX. I used to commute from SAN to SLC also and it was tough. The crews for Skywest were great and would always go out of their way to accommodate me but the gate agents were hit or miss. The problems were – you couldn’t reserve the jumpseat and even if there were seats you could be weight restricted. Even then some pilots would make it work if you could penetrate the bureaucracy and talk to them. Maybe this wouldn’t be a factor on the shorter Reno flight – perhaps some of the Skywest guys could help you out on that one. Also if Reno only has a few connection carrier gates it does not hurt to develop a friendly relationship with the gate agents.
You could sit long call (12 hours) in Reno but would have to be in the LAX or SLC area for short call. They will give you a minimum of 10 hours notice that you will be placed on short call and you have about a 2 hour response time on top of this so you will have time to position yourself for short call in either case. Short call is generally considered to be 2 hours although the wording is much more ambiguous, something like “readily available” but everyone uses about 2 hours and it’s not something you would want to test on probation.
Good Luck - Scoop