View Single Post
Old 08-13-2005, 01:31 PM
Sike
Atmospheric Penetrator

Joined APC: Aug 2005
Default Peering in from the outside.

Hello Folks,

I am currently a Chautauqua pilot considering applying myself vigorously (whatever that means) towards a job at Jet Blue. After reading some of the discussion here with regard to 190 pay etc., I would like to offer the opinion of an outsider as well as ask a few questions.

I currently have roughly 700 hours PIC turbine and know that without at least 1000 hours or most likely a lot more, I don't stand much of a chance of getting hired. However, as a few have posted I am thinking that the competitive minimums for hiring are going to have to drop due to the pay as well as the fact that I could hang out at Chautauqua and eventually fly a 190. Other regionals offer a similar pay scale for their 70 seat equipment. In addition, as upgrade times lengthen and guys are looking at sitting in the right seat of the 190 for 2-3 years, something is going to have to change. Honestly, I feel as though it would be fair to hire someone with no turbine time that maybe has some 135 experience to work as a 190 FO. However given the huge surplus of pilots that exists, that will probably never happen. I watched my company sell us on the same "quick upgrade/crumby FO rate" deal when we settled our last contract. However, a job at Jet Blue currently stands as a great opportunity for someone with lower PIC time as the upgrade will be quick and Chautauqua certainly doesn't have A320s and most likely never will. It is also less of a risk because you will still be logging PIC time and will be better poised for further employment if the proverbial sh*t hits the fan at Jet Blue. With all that said, now it's time for a few questions.

1. How is it working for a non-union airline? pros cons?
2. What kind of quality of life do you see with schedules, days off, etc.?
3. I know it's not currently in the plan, but do you think A321s 330s etc. are a possibility maybe 10 years down the road?
4. What does Neeleman think about further international flying.. maybe Central or South America? Is he looking to stay strictly domestic with just a few exceptions permanently?
5. How are pay raises negotiated?
6. Do most pilots help clean the airplanes?
7. Are you happy?
8. Is the airbus a boring airplane with its extreme level of automation?
9. Want to write me a letter of recommendation? MUAHAHA just kidding.

Any answers to any questions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike