Thread: 121 failure
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2019, 04:26 AM
captande
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017

Originally Posted by 12tango21 View Post
I just finished a failure with an untrained captain and who is going for upgrade and myself. The captain programmed the fms wrong, disregarded a checklist coming into land, then him turned the wrong way while I was working head down during taxi. How can I fail from this?. How much does this affect me? I had one fail in private training and now one now on my ATP checkride. I'm sick to my stomach. The captain wants to try and challenge it because it was caused by the sim instructor changing everything as we were walking in the sim then giving us 200kt winds so we had no time to set up. Can you even protest an iacra checkride?
If it’s a legit failure and you 2 go crying thinking you were screwed, you might be looking for a new carrier all together at the end of it. Not saying don’t protest if they actually did you wrong, but I honestly don’t think that was the case.

You said he turned the wrong way while you were heads down on taxi. I can see them easily saying that you’re just at as much fault as he was. Same with the FMS and the checklist. It’s your certificate at stake as well as his when you’re on the line. If you’re seeing something wrong you need to address it until it’s fixed. You can’t just say, something looks funny here, and move on.

Biggest thing is if this failure sticks you’re going to have to fix your story. Unless you’re at a carrier with flow, you won’t get through an interview at anyone better than ULCC. The failure is on your record so it’s your learning experience. Gotta own it.