Thread: Tesla
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2019, 05:22 AM
gatorbird
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2008
Position: A320 CA

Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
Is there a certain miles/yr where a Tesla is worth it over an ICE car?
I simply did the math based on our expected miles/year and a few calculations using different gas prices. Our other car considerations were all performance-oriented European SUVs, so I used premium fuel in my math. Consistent with my Model S neighbor’s view, I haven’t noticed a blip on my power bill with charging (we have a cheap night rate in my area that allows us to charge for pennies 12a-6a). With all of that said, I figure I save $225/mo on fuel. The only real cost was the upfront ~$1000 to install the 240V wall charger.

The other point to consider is the lack of maintenance; the other vehicles in consideration (Cayenne Turbo, X5 M, etc) cost thousands a year just in routine maintenance. With the Tesla I’m in for tires. Insurance is slightly more than the other cars in my area, probably due to the increased cost to fix it (and the likelihood it’s totaled in a more minor wreck). Shop around; we swapped and saved hundreds from our old coverage.

For us (family of four), the Model X has exceeded our expectations. The ergonomics and abundance of storage is mind-blowing. The accessibility is amazing. The iPhone-like ease of use for everything on the car is such a breath of fresh air from clunky tech packages in other cars. The performance never fails to amaze (P90DL). Both the wife and I prefer a stiff handling/stiff ride, so the big wheels aren’t an issue for us (I don’t find them at all noisy either). We bought used (2 years old) and plan to buy an aftermarket warranty when the factory one expires next summer. Won’t be our last Model X.