View Single Post
Old 08-13-2005, 04:02 PM
FNG320
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: A320 FO

Originally Posted by Sike
Now it's time for a few questions.

1. How is it working for a non-union airline? pros cons?

I don't think it is that bad, coming from a military background. My dad was a union member. The company says it tries to take care of us, but it is mainly their idea of what we need, not ours. There is lots of talk but no action unless it helps the company. I do feel that we have some representation to protect us (the values committee, the scheduling committee, etc), and out contract as it is, does give us some protection. But it does feel kinda of "on you own" as there is no group to represent us against management and any changes they see fit to implement.

2. What kind of quality of life do you see with schedules, days off, etc.?

Senior guys can get schedules with 11-12 days on and 18-19 days off per month (flying 80-85 hours). Which is not bad! Middle of the pack and the rest run more along 15 days on and 15 days off. Some Jr bidders my only get 13-14 days off but the number of days off tend to follow the number of hours each pilot bids to fly. A middle to Jr bidder can get upwards 16-18 days off, if he goes with the minimum hours

3. I know it's not currently in the plan, but do you think A321s 330s etc. are a possibility maybe 10 years down the road?

Hey, we were never suppose to get E190s! I think that maybe in the long term it is possible. Then the A330 Capt can get twice the A320 Capt's pay! (remember the E190 pay was based on as similar cost per seat mile, so the it should nearly double).

4. What does Neeleman think about further international flying.. maybe Central or South America? Is he looking to stay strictly domestic with just a few exceptions permanently?

No real data. I think that it will mainly be domestic with some trips to Canada, Mexico, the Islands, Central and South America.... As long as we can do it with the A320. But nothing to europe or the far east without new planes.

5. How are pay raises negotiated?

I wish! Our contract says that management will consider pay raises when conditions permit and are warrented. Well, conditions are slim right now, and even when conditions were good, management didn't give us any type of raise, not even a single cost of living raise. We don't get a vote! We are at managements mercy. They did good in 2001 with the pay raise even after 9/11, but their support and caring for us appears to be gone.

6. Do most pilots help clean the airplanes?

I would say that 99.5% of our pilots help clean planes. It helps us all to do so (profit sharing, turn time, the JetBlue Exper., etc). However if one of us need run to catch a hop to commute home, we will normally leave. But I will be sure to let the lead FA know why.

7. Are you happy?

Mostly yes. But you can see above to see some of what I am unhappy about. I do like the ablity to contol a great deal of my schedule (pref bidding, trip trading, PTO, gateway trades, etc). I am unhappy about no pay raises (cost of living), no protection from management, crappy work rules in our scheduling guide, managements ability to make changes without our approval, skyrocketing medical cost, low productivity in our pairings, limited or now rig to force productive pairings or maintian minimum pay levels per day, etc. I would not change places with a pilot anywherer else. Although SWA would be a tie with JB.

8. Is the airbus a boring airplane with its extreme level of automation?

Not really, it is a challenge to make it do all the tricks.

9. Want to write me a letter of recommendation? MUAHAHA just kidding.

Hey, wish I could.
I hope this helps.

Just my opinion.....

FNG

Last edited by FNG320; 08-13-2005 at 04:04 PM.