View Single Post
Old 10-31-2019, 08:56 AM
Excargodog
Perennial Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018
Default Are turboprops losing status?

Up until a few years ago it seemed like someone getting TPIC in a turboprop, especially one of the heavier turboprops like the Q400 or Saab 2000, was judged by the major airlines to have accumulated equivalent experience to those who had been flying CRJs and ERJs. I have been told by several people that this seems to no longer be the case, but exactly how they became to be of this opinion seems sort of...sketchy.

Now please, this is not an attempt to get into a Johnson measuring contest or a put down of guys who fly turboprops. I have JS’d on turboprop aircraft that did impressive CAT 3 approaches and went into short fields where I wouldn’t have wanted to go with an rj.

But what I would like to know from any of you with turboprop TPIC who have recently interviewed with a major or talked to a major recruiter if anything was said or done that gave you the idea that some majors were now somehow regarding turboprop TPIC as anything less than equivalent to jet PIC.

Basically the question is:

If someone has the opportunity to either fly as a turboprop PIC or a jet PIC, what would look better on his/her resume and by how much?

Obviously ex-military guys with C-130 or other turboprop time are a special case. Feel free to participate but please identify yourselves as having military turboprop TPIC because You aren’t really the demographic I’m aiming for here.