View Single Post
Old 10-31-2019, 10:30 AM
Lowlevel
What's A Weekend?

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: Big...So Big

Originally Posted by maxjet View Post
I think this post validates my point. You bring almost no experience to the table. No automation, a cavalier attitude about flying going unprepared into less than adequate facilities. This is not the Kalitta Air of today. We run a safe operation and are constantly moving towards more and more support. The last thing we need are pilots with a “getter dun” attitude. When Captain Rhodes took over that officially ended that era.

Yes, there are way more qualified pilots out there. I remember trying to get on with AirTran in 2002 with 1000 turboprop PIC. They said “props are for boats”. It stung, but that is the reality of aviation. The needs of the company factored with the available pilot pool will alys trump your feelings.

Good luck to you. I stick by my position on this one.
But we have quite a few guys that have only flown King Airs, and small Citations. Next thing ya know, they are in the right seat of 875,000 pounds of Boeing. And....the ones I’ve flown with have done a great job.
I disagree with the thought that our pilots shouldn’t have an attitude of “getter dun”. I’m not saying that anyone should operate in an unsafe manner, but in this type of flying (remote areas, war zones, unscheduled last minute cargo, etc) you sure as heck better have a “getter dun” attitude. When things aren’t going smooth, you need to make things happen, make phone calls, find solutions. You can’t sit there, and say, “Well, that’s not my job. The (flight follower, scheduler, travel, etc) will have to figure that out.”
I believe that a K 1/2 pilot (or any ACMI, nonsched, charter pilot) would be a much better fit, than a regional or scheduled airline pilot would be. You can’t just wait for the paperwork to be delivered, and everything is done for you, and merrily be on your way. That said, it’s all in the individual, not his type of flying. We don’t usually have many choices when getting our first pilot jobs. Again, good pilots are the ones that can adapt. If a guy comes from a scheduled airline, and expects to hang out in the galley eating olives & cheese, while the loadmaster is rolling up 100 straps in the hot cargo deck, maybe he’s not a good fit. But, if he/she has that “getter dun” attitude, he/she just might be down there helping out, working as a team to get the plane outta there.