View Single Post
Old 11-01-2019, 09:00 PM
airborne840
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2009

I can relate. I recently left and personally didn’t have any major issues with Gama. I fall into the under 50 crowd and got picked up flying cargo for a 121 carrier. I’d say personally, the hardest thing about flying with Gama was the long duty days. Overall though, it’s not a bad place and the pilots I met were great people to work with.

Originally Posted by LLWS09R View Post
It’s difficult to say many polar opposite reasons.

And I’m not trying to scape goat out of informing the Internet world. I just really can’t pin point an exact reason.
A few pilots have received job offers from major carriers.
A few low time FO were told after 1 year they would be promoted to Captain. That never happened so they left. A few of them holding personal grudges as 1 year of there life was wasted getting top notch flight skills.. I don’t get that?

This is about 60% of the reason most of the younger pilots 50 and below are departing.
GAMA can not beat the Majors and even some if not all LCC. Pointless to try. A few yell about scheduale and pay. For the most part it’s greener pastures.

Older pilots just have a harder time accepting the way life is here. Some do ok but others spend 1 summer in the NE vortex and they throw in the towel. Others go to NJA or Flexjet. I can not personally explain why they make those moves. However those two carriers probably account for a vast majority of pilots leaving for non part 121 job. My guess would be that most other companies have increased pay incentives, QOL issues, and long term benefits.