Thread: Pros and cons
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2019, 01:23 PM
pitchattitude
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2017

Originally Posted by CheewiesCopilot View Post
In what sense does reserve suck ? I don't personally really care for flying my ass off if that's the case or not. I don't mind chilling and watching Netflix either lol
There are two types of reserve at Envoy:

Standby, eight hour shift, sitting ready at the airport.

RAP, reserve availability period. 14 hours long, two hour call out.

There is no long call. If you are on reserve, you have to be in domicile, basically bags packed and uniform at hand and ready to go out on a flight that could last through the last day of your reserve sequence.

You can “see” who has been called and how many are between you and getting called, but not always a good indication of how close you are to call out.

If you don’t live in base, you have to be there. Assignments for the next day are confirmed at 1700 central time. For most commuters, this means you have to be commuting before you know for sure if you have a flight, a standby or a RAP and what time that is. You don’t get used for an overnight, you need a place to stay. You have a late shift, you have to check out most places at 1100, so either you’re a vagrant for a few hours or you pay for another night. A lot of uncertainty.

If you live in base, less than about 30-45 minutes from being at the terminal, life is much better.

Reserve is also only guaranteed 11 days a month off. You can not go below eight days a month off, so only three days max you MIGHT can pick up OT and there are restrictions on what time frame you are eligible to pick up OT, so usually slim pickings.