View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 03:32 PM
HerkDriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2007
Position: A300 F/O
Default Posting 08-01 Food for Thought...

Just thinking about how Posting 08-01 will play out, and wanted to throw this out for some general thoughts. (Let me preface this by saying that I'm not on a witch hunt, nor do I want to start an Over 60 bashing thread...just trying to think how I would react if over 60 and getting paid as an S/O).

There are 77 Capt positions open for Wide/Narrow Bodies when you only count MEM/LAX/ANC; we currently have over 150 Over 60 guys waiting to get back to the left seat. We have an additional 20 right seats open for the 75 in MEM, for a total of 97 seats with a view that don't require you to go to either CDG or HKG. ASSUMING that the majority of the Over 60 crowd would rather be paid as Capts or FO's, what is the likelihood that EVERY CONUS (& ANC) seat gets filled by an over 60 guy? I can't believe that if we are overmanned, the company would be willing to offer passover pay for the over 60 guys if they are still "young" enough to go through training (i.e. not within 18 months of turning 65). Does this sound plausible? (Sorry, too much MythBusters....)

To take it one step further, and say that maybe the company decides to have a few secondary vacancies filled, wouldn't those front seats even be likely targets for the Over 60 crowd as well?

Unless my assumptions about an Over 60 guy's desire to get back to a window seat (and a bigger pay rate) are way off, it wouldn't surprise me to see every MEM/LAX/ANC front seat filled in Posting 08-01 by an Over 60 crewmember. Thoughts?