View Single Post
Old 11-15-2019, 10:41 AM
thefauxfox
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2019
Default Standby Flight Question...

Hey y’all! I am a PPL in college working on my IR and I have a unique opportunity... I am a part of the Trans States Aviators program and have (albeit the lowest possible) standby privileges on all United/Star Alliance flights. I previously tried to grab a standby flight from MCO to IAD and ended up booted off two flights in a row so that was a little bit disheartening...

So my question for United pilots, how do y’all figure out which airports are better/worse to fly standby through? I know you all have higher priority but I’m sure you’ve been able to notice how some flights are consistently pretty empty or easy to get standby on.

I am trying to fly from ATL to Tokyo this coming March and I have a number of options to get there... It seems like flying ATL to ORD is the best best to connect to Tokyo, but I’m just not sure because I’ve always bought my tickets and flown Delta out of Atlanta... I compared all the available flights from ATL to each connecting United hub and then looked at how many flights to Tokyo are available from each of those hubs. Unless another hub almost always has pretty empty flights to Japan, I guess Chicago is the way?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan