Thread: FO Flight Hours
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2019, 10:03 PM
blindfayth
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by QuickBrief View Post
Just a semi concern mixing between a few threads so looking for some insight.
As a new FO being on Reserve...

1) how many hours are you actually flying per month?
2) is there a decent amount of open time / premium time to pick up?
3) what has been your average credit for the last couple months?
4) Is crediting 85-95+ hours impossible as a new FO?

In class (900) currently and don’t want to get shipped off to NY (want DTW) and only fly 25-30 hours per month and just make min guarantee. I understand that anything you pick up gets added to your min (75 hours) but is there really that little flying going on?

Appreciate it!!
As a second year FO that chooses to stay on RSV (In base, DTW):

1) Around 30-40
2) Yes. I usually pick up two extra trips per month.
3) Around 110-130
4) Not at all. I'm doing 128 this month (x $60/hr).

I don't get used much on reserve, so I often do other things with my time on my "work" days.

I bid 6 on, 1 off x 3, so I can get 10 days off in a row.

I pick up juicy trips from open time (either in base or that are commutable out of base, i.e. NYC).

I end up spending 18+ nights at home a month, while crediting 120+ hours a month this way.

Yes, I *could* hold a line, but why? I'd work much more and be gone from home more for less $ that way. I'm also not in a gigantic rush to hit my 1000 hours, as upgrade times are likely going to be a bottle neck (i.e. 2-3 years). I can take my time, enjoy the ride, and make more money for less actual work this way.
I did 6 months short call NYC, but this situation was worth the wait. 6 months of short call at a regional as an FO in NYC was such a miniscule drop in the bucket in terms of how much of my total career time will have been in that situation, that it's not even worth worrying about.

If you want DTW, chances are you'll be able to hold it far faster than I was able to. I joined during the freeze. You'll probably get it before training ends or soon after OE. I wouldn't sweat it.