View Single Post
Old 11-17-2019, 10:10 AM
Elevation
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2017

Originally Posted by iPilot View Post
Pretty sure everyone has been pressuring the company on this as much as they can. I’m not sure what more you’re asking the union or the pilots to do. I mean the union said in interviews a crash was coming, one happened, and still nothing. At some point you just need to admit that management is simply not going to change their mind until they’re required to by law.
I get the sentiment. It's easy to feel like we have exhausted our options, especially when we are approaching a year after 3591 with no improvement. It's telling that we nearly never see our system chief pilot or anyone above him riding on their own planes. Our flights would be great to get him between MIA, CVG, etc. Looking at these things just drains the drive out of us.

I agree our leadership hasn't faced reality. They still insist we are safe (although if they did believe thate we would see them on our planes from time to time.).

I strongly disagree that we have exhausted our options. We could formally invite the company to take part in a LOSA program. That would put them in the position of providing an improvement or publicly resisting a proven safety measure. So far we haven't done this. That's just one example of ways to apply pressure toward solutions which we haven't played yet.

So you are right to be frustrated. I disagree with giving up on this. We owe it to each other to fight. We can't be defeatist about flight safety here.

As individual pilots there is more we can do too. File reports. Building the paper trail on these incrementally reduces deniability on the part of leadership when the next crash happens. Eventually the risk to the people in charge will alter their incentives, and they will announce safety efforts with great fanfare.