View Single Post
Old 11-19-2019, 03:48 AM
njd1
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2017

I've flown some very loud piston aircraft and now fly a 145. I've also owned every Bose ANR headset since the original Series 1.

ANR is particularly effective with piston aircraft because ANR works primarily on low frequencies (below 500 Hz) and that matches the predominant noise spectrum in the piston aircraft cockpit. The problem with the 145 (and most jets for that matter) is that the vast majority of the noise in the cockpit is high frequency wind noise and ANR really can't help with that.

The Bose A20 (and, frankly, all Bose headsets to feature "tri-port" technology) are generally terrible passive headsets. Meaning, if you turn off the ANR the overall noise cancellation is worse than a traditional passive headset. The problem for me with the A20 is that the ANR gain is too high and that causes a low frequency pumping effect if the seal isn't perfect (i.e. I'm wearing glasses). One pair of glasses I use at night has a slightly wider frame and a perfect seal is impossible, so I'm forced to turn off ANR at night. I am now considering the Proflight for this reason, as well as lower bulk in transport.

I am also considering the Quiet Technologies Halo headset as a backup to the Proflight just in case I have to send the Proflight in for service. I flew with a captain who recently had her A20 stolen and rather than blow another grand on an A20 she went with the Quiet Tech and gave it a favorable review. The problem for me with the Halo is no built-in bluetooth.

Halo Headset (Black)

As an aside, I use some cheap $40 ANR earbuds when flying in the back and they are game-changing. They eliminate all of the drone in the front 3/4 of the cabin and make sitting near the engines bearable....though sadly they do nothing to eliminate the smell coming from the cr@pper.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S1T8863