View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Washout
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007

Originally Posted by Archie Bunker View Post
Coop,

If you've read my posts, you know that I'm a big fan of living in domicile, or reasonably close (an hour or so). Assuming that you get hired by Delta, I would talk to the wife about the possibility of moving to SLC. Can she find a similar job there in her profession? Any chance of you getting a reserve job at Hill AFB? Your QOL is going to be so much better living and flying out of SLC. Also, I was domiciled at 4 different bases during my time at Delta, and I thought that SLC was the best base by a long shot.

Coop,

There are a few things you need to understand about jumpseating on Delta, or any other airline. First of all, at Delta you can reserve the jumpseat (on Delta mainline flights only) 4 days in advance if going to work, 3 days in advance if returning from work, and 1 day in advance for any other personal travel. You can't reserve the jumpseat in advance on SkyWest or ExpressJet. What does this mean to you commuting from RNO? It means a lot. It's the difference between having a reserved jumpseat on a Delta mainline jet, or hoping that there will be an open seat in the back, or a jumpseat available on SkyWest/ExpressJet. It sounds like you will be at the mercy of these two carriers to get to work (SLC, that is). Not an ideal place to be, in my opinion.

I commuted from SAN to SLC regularly, and it was pretty easy because I had a handful of Delta mainline flights I could count on to get me there. I used SkyWest a few times from SLC to SAN, and it was hit or miss. I couldn't believe how many times during the summer I was told the RJ was weight restricted, and couldn't take a jumpseater. If this happens to you in RNO, I suppose you could drive to SLC and make your sign in (from long call), but I basically see this as setting yourself up for a painful existence.

Absolutely. You'd need a crashpad or a motel room for short call in either SLC or LAX.
FYI ExpressJet flies only 145XR's out of RNO which are nearly never wait restricted. Only heard of it once and it was dispatched on a 3 hour flight (3585 multiple alternates) full. We love commuters so you can count on a seat if one is available.